Lavender is perfect for adding flavour to baked goods and desserts, enjoy this easy AGA recipe for Lavender Shortbread.
1 lb (500g) lightly salted butter
4 tbsp fresh or dried, unsprayed, finely chopped lavender flowers
8 oz (250g) caster sugar
1 lb (500g) plain flour
8 oz (250g) cornflour
1. Have the butter at room temperature, in a bowl near the AGA for an hour of so if necessary, until soft but not oily.
2. Cream the butter with the lavender until light and fluffy to release the lavender oil into the mixture.
3. Add the sugar and cream further for two minutes. Gradually work in the flours. Pile into a full-size hard anodised AGA baking tray lined with baking parchment or Bake-O-Glide.
4. Once the mixture has been roughly levelled, cover with a sheet of cling film and press down into place with the hands, then use a clean preserve jar or unopened can as a small roller so that the surface is as flat as possible. Remove the cling film and prick well all over with a table fork.
5. Bake on the lowest set of runners in the Baking Oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a very light golden brown.
6. Transfer to the Simmering Oven for a further 15 minutes. The finished texture should be just cooked, but not crisp.