Cherries and almonds are great friends and this neat tart works equally well served cold at a picnic with cream or warm with ice-cream after dinner.
1 x 20cm (8 inch) flan dish lined with uncooked shortcrust pastry
1 punnet cherries, stoned
100g (3½ oz) soft butter
100g (3½ oz) caster sugar
1 large free range egg
Few drops almond extract
100g (3½ oz) ground almonds
25g (1 oz) flaked almonds
1. Arrange the cherries over the base of the flan.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together. Beat in the egg, almond extract and ground almonds.
3. Spread the almond mixture evenly over the cherries and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
4. Place the flan dish on the floor of the roasting oven. Slide the cold plain shelf on the second or third runners down and bake for about 25 minutes, until golden brown.
5. Serve warm or cold with cream, crème fraîche or ice cream.