The tart damson jam pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the meringue in Dawn's Damson Meringue Roulade.
5 large free range egg whites
280g (10 oz) caster sugar
55g (2 oz) flaked almonds
For the filling:
4-5 tbsp damson preserve or other red coloured conserve
300ml (10fl oz) double cream, whipped
1. Line a full-size AGA baking tray with Bake-O-Glide.
2. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, and then add the sugar a teaspoon at a time, with your electric whisk running at full speed.
3. Spread onto the baking tray and level out. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
4. Cook on the fourth set of runners down of the baking oven for about 20 minutes until firm.
5. Remove from the tray and allow it to cool. Turn out onto a clean sugared cloth or tea towel and remove the Bake-O-Glide.
6. Spread the damson preserve onto the meringue, lightly spread over the cream and roll up along the longest edge using the cloth to form the roulade.
Chill before serving.