I find the nicest hot cross buns to use are those which are lightly spiced, because they give a good flavour to the cooked pudding.
8 hot cross buns
25-55g (1-2 oz) butter
8 glacé cherries, optional
250ml (½ pint) double cream
250ml (½ pint) milk
55g (2 oz) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Sifted icing sugar
1. Cut the hot cross buns in half, horizontally and spread thickly with butter, then slice each vertically into three pieces.
2. Arrange the slices overlapping in a buttered AGA Chef’s Dish. Sprinkle over the glace cherries, if using.
3. Place the cream and milk into a saucepan with the sugar and heat until tepid, stir to dissolve the sugar, then cool.
4. Whisk the vanilla extract and eggs together then whisk in the cooled cream, milk and sugar, pour over the hot cross buns. Allow to soak for at least 30 minutes.
5. Cook in the Baking Oven for 35-40 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar to serve. Delicious served hot or cold.
Bake at 180ºC (350ºF), fan oven at 160ºC, Gas Mark 4 for 35-40 minutes