A delicious autumn preserve with chunks of pear in a ginger infused syrup. Use jam sugar as pears are low in pectin (setting agent). This special jam sugar is also ideal for raspberry conserve.
500g (1 lb 2 oz) peeled and cored pears
Juice of 1 lemon
150ml (¼ pint) water
500g (1 lb 2 oz) jam sugar
25g (1 oz) glace or stem ginger, finely chopped
Serves 3 medium jars
1. Cut the pears into ¾cm (¼ inch) dice. Place the pears into an AGA stockpot together with the lemon juice and water, bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Transfer to the floor of the Simmering Oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the pears are soft.
3. Place the stockpot on the Simmering Plate and add the jam sugar, stir until dissolved and bring to the boil.
4. Boil vigorously on the Boiling Plate for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat, skim off any scum and stir in the ginger.
5. Leave to stand for 15 minutes then stir and place in warm sterilised jars. Cover, label and date, best used up in 3 months.