This fruity and indulgent Strawberry Roulade makes a super summery showstopper.
85g (3 oz) caster sugar, warmed
3 large free range eggs, at room temperature
85g (3 oz) plain flour
300ml (10 fl oz) double cream
Punnet of strawberries, hulled and sprinkled with a little sugar
Icing sugar Strawberry halves
1. Warm the sugar on the AGA. Line a 33 x 23cm (13 x 9 inch) Swiss roll tin with baking parchment, brush with a little oil.
2. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until the mixture is light and creamy and the whisk will leave a trail when lifted out. Sieve the flour and carefully fold it into the mixture, taking care not to beat out the air bubbles.
3. Turn the mixture into the tin and level and spread evenly into the corners. Turn out onto baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
4. Bake on the grid shelf set on the floor of the Roasting Oven for 7 minutes, until a light golden brown and shrinking away slightly from the sides of the tin.
5. Score a line 2.5cm (1 inch) in from the longest edge. Whip the cream until it holds its shape, place a third in a piping bag for decoration. Spread the cooled cake with the remaining cream and sprinkle with the strawberries.
6. Starting with the score mark, roll lengthways, using the paper to keep it firmly together. Pipe the reserved cream on the top and decorate with strawberry halves. Dust with a little icing sugar.
Bake at 200°C, fan oven 180°C or Gas Mark 6-7 for 7 minutes.