A showpiece for entertaining, this ham can be served hot or cold and the remaining leftovers are truly wonderful teamed with leeks in a cheese sauce.
2kg (4½ lb) piece of gammon
750ml (1½ pints) apple juice or cider
1 onion, quartered
Handful of fresh parsley, stalks and heads
8 black peppercorns
2 rounded tsp English Mustard
2-3 tbsp Demerara sugar
1. Place the gammon joint into a saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil. Drain off all the water and rinse the meat. Replace in the clean saucepan and pour over the apple juice or cider, then top up with enough water to barely cover the meat.
2. Add the onion, parsley and peppercorns. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Place on the floor of the Simmering Oven and simmer for 1½ - 1¾ hours. Remove the gammon from the liquid, cool a little and remove any string. Take a sharp knife and peel off the rind. Score the fat into a diamond pattern.
4. Place the gammon onto a piece of Bake-O-Glide in the AGA roasting tin then spread ready-made mustard thickly over the fat and press Demerara sugar all over the mustard.
5. Slide the tin on the lowest set of runners in the Roasting Oven and cook until the top is nicely browned, about 15-20 minutes.
6. Place on a serving dish and garnish the diamonds of fat with cloves.
Simmer the gammon on the hob then brown in a hot oven 200ºC (400ºF), fan oven 180ºC, Gas Mark 6 until golden, about 15-20 minutes.
Note - Ideas for leftovers - mix cubes of ham in a cheese sauce with cooked leeks, pour into an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with cheese and heat in the Roasting Oven until hot and golden.