Full of flavour, this Prawn Curry is definitely a dish to impress family and friends.
500g (1lb 2 oz) raw prawns
10g (¼ oz) root ginger, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 green chilli, deseeded
½ red chilli, deseeded
2 tbsp oil ¼ tsp pepper, freshly ground
1 tsp of mustard seeds
4 cardamom pods,crushed
5cm (2 inch) cinnamon stick
1 tsp of ground coriander
1 tsp of cumin
½ tsp of garam masala
½ tsp of ginger
350ml (12 fl oz) coconut milk
100ml (3½ fl oz) water
2 bay leaves
½ tsp salt (or to taste)
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1–2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
1. Place the root ginger, garlic, onion, green and red chillies into a food processor for 30 seconds to form a thick paste.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the pepper, mustard seeds, cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon. Fry for 20–30 seconds and add the ginger paste. Fry for a further 5–7 minutes or until the mixture is soft and caramel in colour.
3. Either fry on the Simmering Plate or heat on the Simmering Plate and transfer to the floor of the Roasting Oven for 5–7 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and add the cinnamon stick, ground coriander, cumin, garam masala, ginger, coconut milk, water, bay leaves and salt.
5. Return to the Simmering Plate, stirring frequently before adding the tomatoes and cook for a further 2–3 minutes. Gently slide the prawns into the sauce.
6. Cover and place in the Simmering Oven, simmer for 8–10 minutes or until the prawns are pink and cooked. Before serving, remove the whole spices and bay leaves, stir in the lemon juice and chopped coriander. Garnish with fresh coriander.
Cook on the hob, adjusting the heat to amount required.