There are few things that conjure up childhood as effectively. The mash is the perfect foil to the richness of the sausage and gravy.
6 plump sausages
2 medium onions
Tablespoon of flour
Half a glass of red wine
150ml (5fl oz) hot stock
6 large potatoes
Tablespoon of double cream
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a roasting tin on the simmering plate. Add the sausages and let them cook gently, turning occasionally.
2. Chop the onions and add them to the roasting tin. Transfer the tin to the second set of runners in the roasting oven. Leave them for about 15 minutes until the onions are soft and the sausages cooked.
3. While the sausages are cooking, peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters. Bring them into to the boil in a large pan on the boiling plate.
4. Remove the sausages and keep them warm at the back of the AGA or in the simmering oven.
5. Transfer the tin to the simmering plate and add the flour. After a minute, add the red wine and stock. Allow it to bubble on the simmering plate, stirring occasionally until you have a thick gravy.
6. Drain and mash the potatoes with some butter, the cream and the pepper.