A bright, attractive and healthy dish that comes jam-packed with bundles of great flavours. Also, grilling at the top of the roasting oven, ensures fat splashes and cooking odours are kept to a minimum, because the ovens are vented to outside. Just be sure to turn on the oven vent fan.
Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables
2 courgettes, sliced
1 aubergine, diced
1 red onion, cut into chunks
5 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 red peppers cut into squares
Sprigs of fresh thyme
4 whole mackerel, cleaned
Fresh fennel leaves
2 lemons, sliced
1. Firstly prepare the roasted vegetables by placing them into a bowl. Mix well together with the sprigs of thyme, seasoning and enough olive oil to coat them. Transfer to the AGA shallow baking tray, lined with a piece of Bake-O-Glide.
2. Slide the tin onto the lowest set of runners down in the roasting oven. Cook for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and just beginning to brown around the edges.Turn the vegetables occasionally during cooking.
3. Slash the mackerel three times on each side then place onto the large grill rack, high position, in the AGA roasting tin.Tuck fennel, lemon slices and parsley into the cavities.
4. Slide the tin onto the second set of runners in the roasting oven. Grill for 8 minutes then turn over and cook the other side for a further 5-8 minutes, dependent upon the thickness of the mackerel.
5. Serve the mackerel accompanied by the roasted vegetables.