A family favourite that's truly succulent when cooked in a cast iron oven. There's the added benefit of not needing any butter or oil, if you turn the bird over during cooking.
1 x 1.5kg (3lb) free range chicken
Salt and black pepper
1. Take the chicken out of the refrigerator an hour before cooking. Remove any string, the legs should be free to allow heat to circulate properly.
2. Cut two of the onions into slices and place in the base of the half size AGA roasting tin - this will give good flavour to the gravy. Put the chicken onto the onion. Stuff the cavity of the chicken with sprigs of thyme and parsley and the remaining onion cut into quarters.
3. Slide the roasting tin onto the lowest set of runners in the roasting oven and roast for 25 minutes.
4. Take the chicken out the oven and turn the whole bird over, return to the oven and roast for another 20 minutes.
5. Then turn the bird back to it's original position and continue cooking for a further 15-20 minutes. The chicken is cooked when juices from a pricked thickest part of the thigh run clear, or use a meat thermometer.
6. Allow the chicken to rest for 20 minutes before carving.