4 Plums, Halved and stoned
385g caster sugar
190g unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
300g plain flour, sifted
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoons baking soda
60g ground almonds
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Pattern the plums over the base of a lightly greased 24cm-round tin lined with non-stick baking paper to form two layers. Fill in the gaps with the blueberries.
- Sprinkle with 110g sugar and set aside. Place the butter, remaining sugar, and lemon zest in an electric mixer and beat for 8–10 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ground almonds, vanilla extract and buttermilk and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture over the fruit and smooth the top with a palette knife. Bake for 45 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminium foil and bake for a further 40–45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Allow to cool in the tin at room temperature until just warm. Invert the cake onto a serving plate and carefully remove the tin to serve.