If you’re unsure about preparing fresh fish, ask your fishmonger to descale and gut the snapper for you, so it’s ready to cook when you get home. They can also suggest recipes and ways to cook all sorts of fish and seafood so don’t be afraid to experiment. Serve with homemade chunky chips for a weekend treat.
2 Red Snapper, descaled and gutted
Sea salt and pepper
1cm piece of root ginger, peeled and grated 1 garlic clove, crushed
½ small red chilli, de-seeded and chopped
Several sprigs of fresh thyme
1 Lime, cut into slices
2 tbsp olive oil
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 200⁰c fan, 190⁰c conventional, centre shelf, gas 6.
- Cut two large sheets of baking parchment greaseproof paper and rest them in an ovenproof dish
- Make three-four slashes on top of the fish, then season both inside and out with sea salt and black pepper
- Rub some of the garlic, ginger, chilli and thyme into the fish, pushing the remainder into the cavity.
- Add the lime slices then rest each fish in the baking parchment, drizzle with olive oil and wrap up.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the fish is tender and flakes easily