Rich and creamy, this classic rice dish combines the delicate flavour of prawns and salmon with the distinctive taste of asparagus. Use risotto or Arborio rice for best results and stir continuously for that rich, creamy texture. Add more butter for extra richness and a few Parmesan shavings to finish.
1 onion finely chopped
150g risotto rice
125ml white wine
1 litre hot vegetable stock (low salt if possible)
The juice and zest of one lemon
240g large cooked prawns (defrosted if frozen)
150g hot-smoked salmon fillets
100g fresh asparagus tips, blanched briefly in boiling water
Freshly ground black pepper
50g Parmesan shavings
Lemon wedges to serve
- Melt the butter in a thick-based pan and gently cook the onion without colour until it is soft.
- Add the rice and stir to coat all the grains in the butter
- Add the wine and cook gently stirring until it is absorbed
- Gradually add the hot stock, stirring until each addition is absorbed. Keep stirring until the rice is tender
- Flake the salmon and gently fold into the risotto with the prawns and asparagus
- Season with the lemon juice and zest, and pepper to taste. (there will probably be sufficient saltiness from the salmon to not need to add salt) Stir gently to heat through
- Serve scattered with the Parmesan, seasonal vegetables and the lemon wedges.