1 egg, beaten
6 Cumberland sausages
½ tsp ground mace
½ tsp dried sage
500g shortcrust pastry
Plain flour for dusting
1 tbsp. sesame seeds
Pickle, homemade or shop-bought
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Use a small amount of butter to grease a 12-hole cupcake tray.
- Roll out pastry and use a 10cm cookie cutter to make 12 pastry circles before pressing gently into each cupcake hole.
- Scatter one teaspoon of breadcrumbs over each pastry circle and pour the remaining breadcrumbs into a mixing bowl.
- Remove skins from sausages and add to the mixing bowl with the sage and mace.
- Mix by hand until you can no longer see the breadcrumbs then place mixture on top of each base.
- Roll out remaining pastry again and use a 7cm cookie cutter to make 12 pastry circle lids. Brush each one with a small amount of egg and press gently onto each pie, egg side down to help it stick.
- Use remaining egg to coat all of the pies (this will give them a golden colour) and sprinkle sesame seeds over the top.
- Bake for half an hour or until golden then remove pies from the cupcake tray.
- Place onto a baking sheet and brush with remaining egg before placing back into the oven for a further eight minutes.
- Leave to cool then serve with a dollop of pickle.