Light, airy muffins are always a favourite in the AGA kitchen and we love these blueberry versions with a sweet cinnamon topping. Simple enough for novice cooks, they make perfect lunchbox fillers and teatime treats – you could always leave the cinnamon out if you’re not a fan and swap the blueberries for raspberries if you’d prefer.
For the muffins:
200g7oz plain flour
150g/5oz caster sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
75ml/2½fl oz vegetable oil
150g fresh blueberries
For the topping:
100g/3¾oz caster sugar
50g plain flour
50g butter, softened
1-teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pre heat the oven to 190ºC fan oven, 200ºC conventional oven (centre shelf), gas 6 (centre shelf).
- Place paper muffin cases into a muffin tin.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Combine the oil, egg and milk and mix into the flour mixture.
- Gently fold in the blueberries, being careful not to over mix, and divide mixture evenly between muffin cases.
- To make the crumble topping: Mix together all ingredients with a fork and sprinkle over the muffins prior to baking.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until well-risen and golden brown.